Built in 1822, and featured in an 1841 Bartlett print, St. Mark's is a small, beautiful National Treasure.
Elias Smith, the founder of Port Hope, was largely responsible for the establishment of St. Mark's and donated the land on which it was built.
St. Mark's was one of the first buildings in Ontario to be designated for architectural and historic interest under the Ontario Heritage Act of 1970. It was also the parish church of Canada's first Canadian born Governor-General of Canada (1952-59), Vincent Massey.
In 1959 Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip were guests at the home of then Governor-General Vincent Massey. During their stay at his estate in Canton, they joined the congregation in worship at St. Mark's on July 26. After the service the Queen signed the guest book, which is still on display in the church today.
Vincent Massey was a devoted parish member. When he died in 1967, he was buried in the churchyard alongside his wife Alice and his son Lionel. His plot is situated on the north side of the building.
Burials were made in this cemetery prior to the erection of the Church building in 1822, but the first interment recorded was in 1822 in the Cavan register by Joseph Thompson. In 1830 Bishop Steward of Quebec visited Port Hope and officially consecrated the burying ground. There have been few interments since 1900. The last burial was that of Governor General Vincent Massey in 1967. The East section of the cemetery remains open for burials of cremated remains.